Assistant Director - Internship & Alumni Programs
Lake Forest College
As a staff member of both the Career Advancement Center and Department of Alumni Relations, the Assistant Director coaches students and alumni on professional behavior and cultivates relationships with alumni/community volunteers for the purpose of assisting Lake Forest College students and alumni in their career exploration and ability to connect their liberal arts education to the world of work. The Assistant Director guides the programming strategy related to internship/job search techniques and alumni networking.
· Maintain and create opportunities for alumni/community members to volunteer and connect with students/alumni. This includes coordinating short-term/one-time mentor matches, the long-term Mentor Program, Speed Networking, Internship Week, mock interviews, internships and other programs that prepare students for the world of work. Candidate will also provide training (in-person and virtual webinars) and develop relevant resource materials for volunteers and students.
- Develop relationships with alumni and serve as liaison to the Alumni Board. Some activities will include: guiding development of alumni industry networks, writing targeted messages/quarterly newsletters to a pool of 700+ alumni volunteers, and participating in alumni board meetings.
- Train and advise students/alumni on topics such as: internship and job search strategies, networking, resumes, cover letters and interviewing. Review and provide feedback on resumes and other documents submitted to the Online Career Center.
- Manage and organize information using technology systems, including the alumni database (Jenzabar), career service management system (CSO/Interfase), LinkedIn and website content management systems (LiveWhale and iModules).
- Collaborate with career center staff and key constituent groups to deliver high-quality career-related programming; serve as the athletics department liaison and guide the launch of a new athletics/career development partnership program. Coordinate CAC internship-related initiatives with academic internship efforts.
- Contribute to assessment efforts and assist with organizing and synthesizing performance metrics and outcomes/placement data.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree and experience working with college students and managing volunteers. Candidate must be detail-oriented, adept at building and maintaining relationships, able to present to groups, technologically savvy, demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills, have experience coordinating events, and be able to work effectively with culturally diverse students, alumni, faculty, and staff.
In addition, candidate will be an organized self-starter who is adaptable, able to work both autonomously and collaboratively, and possess entrepreneurial spirit with excellent problem-solving skills. Experience with data analysis and various forms of social media are desirable. Able to work some evenings or weekends.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, résumé, and the names and telephone numbers of three professional references to:
Director, Career Advancement Center
Lake Forest College
555 North Sheridan Road
Lake Forest, IL 60045-2399
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until a successful candidate is found with an ideal start date in August/September. Applications from traditionally under-represented groups are actively encouraged.
Lake Forest College is a selective private national liberal arts institution located 30 miles north of Chicago. The College has a student body of 1500 undergraduate students representing 45 different states and 71 foreign countries. The College boasts an impressive student to faculty ratio of 12 to 1 with an average class size of 19. The College’s student body is culturally diverse, with approximately 25% of our students identifying as ethnic minority or international students. We also have a visible, active, and vibrant LGBT student population.